Saturday, March 22, 2008

Christmas Easter Catholics – Well It did take the Israelites 40 years

This morning I was talking with Hubby about how this day, the day our Lord is gone from the earth, the day every tabernacle on the planet is empty, is just odd. I think about what it must have been like for the disciples. He says shell shocked, and I’m sure they were devastated. The emotion alone must have been overwhelming. I can barley watch little snippets of the Passion with out getting weepy. At Church yesterday Hubby couldn’t join in with the readings. He just couldn’t shout Crucify him, Crucify him! He said that he could feel the weight of his sins nailing our Lord to the cross.

We are going to the vigil Mass this evening for the first time since he was confirmed three years ago. I’m excited. I thought it was the best Mass I had ever been to in my life, partly because he was being confirmed, and it would be the first Mass we would both receive the Eucharist, but also just because it’s a very powerful Mass. Baptism, and Confirmation and scripture and fire and litany of the Saints, it is just so cool.

And then the goof ball mentions being annoyed with the Christmas Easter Catholics. How they pack in for two Masses a year and are nowhere to be seen the rest of the year. Well OK mister this will be my third Easter as a Catholic and fifth as a Christian.

I say bring them on!!!! I say welcome them with a friendly smile, and slide over to make room for them in the pew. I say give up the pew if necessary. I say treat them in our hearts like a long lost loved one, as you would a family member you are meeting at the airport when they are coming home from being overseas for a decade. I say show them where the readings are in the missal if they are having trouble finding them. I say show them where the Creed is in the missal is if they are looking for it. I say PARTY ON!! I say the seeds of God’s Grace are planted in their souls and THIS is the time to pull out the watering cans.

2 Corinthians 6
1As God's fellow workers we urge you not to receive God's grace in vain. 2For he says, "In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you." I tell you, now is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation.

Lord have mercy on all of us prodigals. Forgive us our sins. Lord show us how to make reparations for our brothers and sisters who will receive your body and blood in a state of Mortal Sin this weekend. Accept our small penances and mortifications on their behalf. Bring home all of your people who are wandering and lost in this world. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

You are so right! It would be easy to give the C and E'rs a hard time, but you have a better attitude.
Thanks, too, for visiting my blog. Your comments touched my heart.