Wednesday, May 21, 2008

One of those days when everything changes

Every life has them, days when the world shifts and our world will never be the same. Sometimes we know the world has shifted for us. The day we graduate, get married, find out we are expecting, or a child is born. Sometimes we don’t know on that day that our world has shifted, the day our spouse is born, the day we meet our spouse, or the day we come to believe that Jesus is who he says he is, although some folks do know that everything has changed on that very day. Collectively as a people we have these days the world shifts. The day JFK was shot, the day Elvis died, and the day the towers fell. On these days we experience a sort of stunned awe, a numbness, both a sharpening and a dulling of the senses all at once. Yesterday I had just such a day.

As it turns out there really is a young boy in need of a family, and his name is Jesse. Yesterday we had one of the last meetings with all the adoption agency folks prior to actually meeting young Jesse. Assuming all continues to progress well he will be living with us in about three weeks when school gets out. This is big, the world is shifting, mind numbing and at the same time sharpening of the senses news. Hubby is beside himself, A SON. He can hardly stand it. I’m pretty excited too, but I’m a bit more guarded. The agency is telling us that this is the most endearing foster child to have ever come through their offices in seventeen years, and I’m like oh come on now people. Still I’m excited too.

Several weeks ago as I was blogging through the loss of our girls I asked our Priest if Mass could be said for the souls of children lost through miscarriage, and he said yes. That Mass for our girls was yesterday too. Our Tuesday Mass is in the evening followed by Adoration so it was after the meeting at the adoption agency. The last lines of the Gospel, on this day the world shifted for me, “Whoever receives one child such as this in my name, receives me; and whoever receives me, receives not me but the One who sent me.” Coincidence or Godcidence? You decide.

Jesus I place my trust in you. Amen.

6 comments:

Katie said...

That's fantastic! I'll be praying for you all :)

Anne Marie said...

Thank you. It's all pretty exciting!

Jennifer F. said...

Oh, wow!! I'm not sure how I missed this post the first time around, but I am SO excited for you!

Anne Marie said...

Thanks Jen. We're getting pretty excited too!

Abigail said...

Oh my goodness!!!! I'm so excited for you Anne Marie. We will be praying and praying for all three of you (you, your husband and Jesse) to tap into true love and devotion for each other and become a little model of the Holy Family.

I believe that your girls had a direct hand in bringing a brother into their mom and dad's lives.
Have faith during these fluttery weeks of anticipation and ENJOY, ENJOY when it's finally time to tuck a new son into bed for the first night.

Anne Marie said...

Thanks Abigail. We are meeting him in 2 ½ hours, and I’m getting nervous, wondering how will it go, am I wearing the right thing (silly I know), what will we say, etc. etc.?

Interesting you mention the Holy Family. I had wanted a sibling group because my sibs are extremely important to me and I wanted to keep a sib group together. Assuming all goes as planned with Jesse that won’t pan out unless his ½ sister’s mother’s rights are terminated too, so at least for a while he will be an only child. Then I thought of all the only children in the bible and remembered that he would be in good company. Sarah – Only One; St. Anne – Only One; St. Elizabeth – Only One; Our Lady – Only One, it’s a pretty impressive roster!