Monday, June 23, 2008

Love Your Enemies and Pray for Those Who Persecute You

A few weeks ago I was really angry with God. It was a new emotion for me. I’m young in the faith and I have all the immaturities that come with youth. Lack of experience and often I lack depth in my understanding of the Christian faith. In my short Christian walk I’ve been blessed to have most of my prayers answered in ways I can see and understand, until recently.

Hubby and I have a manufacturing business that supplies the construction trade. Our margins aren’t huge and when a client(s) stiff us it can have a big impact. For the last two years we’ve had a really bad patch of clients stiffing us. We’ve been shortchanged several hundred thousand dollars in the last couple of years. Sue them you say, we’ve tried. It costs more to do so than you get in the end, and besides the courts do what ever they want anyway, so it’s not very productive. We’ve had to let go of fifty percent of our work force to try to keep the doors open and pay what we owe our suppliers on these jobs.

Add to this mix the worst client we’ve ever had, period. We’ve been trying to complete this job for over two years. This dude is so nuts that on the day we have a crew of men flying cross country to complete his installation and a truck of materials for his job on the road headed to his job site, he spent the entire day obsessively calling everyone he could to attempt to turn the truck around telling all who would listen that he would refuse delivery. Just one small example of the insanity.

Hubby led the crew on this site because the situation was so volatile he felt he needed to be there personally and he was on the road for most of May. I prayed and prayed. I did two St. Jude novenas, and since the men were still on site I added the three day novena to Our Lady of Mt. Carmel. I fasted for the last three days the men were on site all the while asking for a miracle on this job. Praying that when we left the job we would be done with this guy and be able to move on with our lives. Praying that his dark countenance would not cloud our horizon ever again.

It was not to be. His wrangling and pot stirring of late includes impersonating us with our insurer in an attempt to have them reimburse him for the entire cost of the job, contacting the State of California in an attempt to have our licensure revoked, filing a claim against our bond, and pot stirring with his bank in an attempt to have the payments already made reversed and the all the money he has paid to date returned to him. Yes, this fella is a gem. Frankly the cost of defending ourselves against him, or if he is able to get the full cost of his job reimbursed could very well spell the end of our company. It’s a desperate situation. Ridiculous you say, so say the people of California about gay marriage, but look how that one turned out. Very weird things happen in business and in the courts.

For a while I was just plain mad at God, ticked off, really perturbed, ornery even. He can walk on water for Pete’s sake, drive out legion in an afternoon, speak and calm the waters, what’s one little Californian nut job to him? I dare say it may be the first no I’ve ever heard from my heavenly Father.

So what am I left with, a situation that is stretching me and challenging my commitment to this Christian walk. God appears to be mute on the matter, and my prayers for an end to this madness go unanswered. All I’m left with is faith in the unseen, faith that all things really do work together for good for those who love the Lord. I’m left with faith that God will fight this battle for me, faith that his justice will prevail. Faith that my feeble little prayers for the salvation of the souls of this client who is persecuting us will be answered, and faith that my sacrifices on their behalf and pitiful attempts at fasting for their salvation and for deliverance will be acceptable to the Lord. I'll let you know how it turns out.

St. Michael the archangel, defend us in battle.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Oh yikes, what a frustrating situation :( It's so hard to have faith when God's not answering us in the way we want Him to. But He is answering us, even if we can't see it in the moment. I'll add some prayers for you for a quick and painless (as possible!) resolution.

Anne Marie said...

Thanks, the whole situation is getting VERY OLD!