Saturday, June 7, 2008

What about you Mom?

It happened today. The day I’ve been waiting 18 years for, and it was caught on tape. Jesse was goofing off recording video with the cell phone and turned and asked, “what about you Mom”? I keep my composure, but when he and Hubby were occupied I watched the video about five times.

I’ve been called mom before, when I’m out with the nieces and nephews and people assume I am their mother, or when they’re goofing off they will call me mom, but until today I’ve never been called mom by my child.

As we were discussing the day Hubby teared up over the moment, not over being called Dad, which he was, over me being called Mom. My sweet husband watched the little snippet of video with me about five more times and he cried.

It tells me that all those years when he held me as I sobbed from the depth of my soul over the loss of our children, over the loss every twenty eight days of the dream of having a family, as he watched me wrestle with the dizzying array of choices on the path to motherhood he felt my pain. He was with me, holding my heart in his hands loving me in the way husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church Eph 5:28-29 well before either of us had a clue what that meant. What a blessing.

Thank you Lord for this little boy. Help us to model your loving kindness in our home. Guide us as we all learn to become a family. Pour out your mercy and love on his natural parents, open their hearts to the ocean of your love and forgiveness. I ask this through Christ our Lord, Amen.

4 comments:

Katie said...

How powerful, I'm crying tears of joy for you! It's amazing how three letters can means the world.

Lauren said...

Congratulations Mom!

Abigail said...

Oh my gosh! I'm am totally crying! What a wonderful husband, what a wonderful son. It is true that Jesus promises to wipe away every tear--we don't even have to wait for heaven to start tasting the truth of promise.

Ahh, I have to take a blogging break just as your life is getting so interesting. I'm keeping your sweet family in my heart and in my prayers. I'll check back with you in a few weeks. Until then, may you celebrate many, many blessings and about 7,000 "Mom" conversations.

Anne Marie said...

Thanks you guys.