Tuesday, July 8, 2008

IVF – Frozen Chilly Children: A Study in Satan’s Ways

Part One

Two years ago I woke up one morning with only one thought running through my head. Frozen chilly children, frozen chilly children, frozen chilly children, stuck in my brain like the words to a song that stays with you all day. A conversation I had while getting my teeth cleaned got me thinking. The do you have any kids question came up and that led to a discussion of the hygienist’s friend who was going through a divorce and trying to decide what to do with their frozen embryos. My mind started going. Maybe this was the solution to the whole thing, if not these children then perhaps some others in the permafrost playground.

I did a little research and learned that over 400,000 children are cryofrozen in the U.S. Alive, but not living their lives, suspended in time and space like some sort of sci-fi movie. The pro life camp rightly sees this for the tragedy it is, the nay sayers dismiss the gruesome reality with the rationalization that these embryos are weak and most likely won’t survive under the best of conditions. Me? I just wanted to be a mom. Not much had been panning out for me and here are kids who obviously need parents. Like many things in life turns out it’s not that simple.

I contacted snowflakes, but I also began calling local cryo banks to ask about adoption of donated frozen embryos. I had been through one cycle of IVF so I wasn’t a complete babe in the woods, or so I thought.

My first call was to a cryo bank in Ann Arbor:

“I’d like to get information about adoption of frozen embryos.”

“Why?”

“Because my husband and I would like to have a family and would like to adopt them.”

“We only use them for experimentation.”


Stomach knotted and in my throat: “I see, can you refer me to someone who places frozen embryos for adoption?”

I’ve since learned that experimentation on embryos is illegal in Michigan, but apparently that’s not a deterrent to this particular cryo bank.

I called the second place and it went like this.

“I’d like to adopt donated embryos, who would I speak to about this?”

“Are you a patient of Dr. X?”

“No.”

“You could come in to speak with Dr. X, but he won’t consider transplanting donated embryos until after two cycles with donor eggs.”

“I see, thank you for your time.”


The bulb lit. For the doctors, it’s about the money first. So what we have here are people desperate for a child, and doctors with a financial incentive to manufacture a child. Potential for abuse, yea I think so. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. 1 Tim 6:10.

When I went through my IVF cycle, the doctor was insistent that she could get me pregnant, and the way to do that was with donor eggs. Human beings are the commodity in the IVF industry, and doctors are manufacturing the product as quickly as the factory can turn the conveyer belt. The child is no longer a gift of God, but a byproduct to be frozen, experimented on or swept away on the whim of those profiting from his fabrication, or worse yet by his parents.

Where does all of this insanity begin? The culture of death begins with contraception. Why? When sex becomes sport, the natural outcome of sex, babies, become an unintended and often undesirable consequence. When human beings become an unintended or undesirable consequence they are dealt with in the way that all such inconveniences are dealt with. They are eliminated, kind of like dandelions in a nicely manicured lawn.
.
Once we are comfortable with elimination of the consequences of sex, the flip side of the equation is just a step away. Why mess with sex to conceive? The children in all of this become either a burden to be swept away, a commodity to acquire or both, and the humanity of the child is devalued every step of the way.

The Fruit of the Poisonous Tree



Printable Version at One More Soul

Our Lady of God Council, Pray for Us. St. Anne Patroness of Mothers, Pray for Us. St. Gerard Patron of the Unborn, Pray for Us.



2 comments:

Katie said...

Uggh, I get goosebumps just thinking about it. It's so heartbreaking to think of all those babies suspended in time like that, alive but not living. And that most of them will be discarded, as if they mean nothing. So terribly tragic.

When human beings become an unintended or undesirable consequence they are dealt with in the way that all such inconveniences are dealt with. They are eliminated, kind of like dandelions in a nicely manicured lawn. .Once we are comfortable with elimination of the consequences of sex, the flip side of the equation is just a step away. Why mess with sex to conceive? The children in all of this become either a burden to be swept away, a commodity to acquire or both, and the humanity of the child is devalued every step of the way.

Yes, yes! So succinctly put.

It's always very humbling and eye-opening to me to read the stories and journeys of Catholic women dealing with infertility issues.

Anne Marie said...

Katie:

Infertility is odd, but IVF is odder, it just takes a while to see through the hype.