Friday, August 8, 2008

Big Oaks Ranch Home for Orphans

Hubby had always wanted to adopt. I wasn’t so sure, so I spent a great deal of time looking into all the angles, the options, the potential pitfalls, the success stories, the not so successful stories. I was very unsure of my ability to cope with an abused child’s needs so I dealt with the situation the way I deal with most such inquires, I read and read on the topic.

One of the most inspiring people I found is a man named John Croyle. He founded Big Oaks Ranch a Christian group home for orphaned and abused children. I read his book Bringing Out the Winner in Your Child and I am rereading it again. He speaks about the home in this brief interview.

This man has raised hundreds of orphaned and abused children and his parenting advise is simple – kids want boundaries – give them in a consistent and loving way, with discipline when they break the boundaries.

His story gave me courage to pursue adoption of an older child and I pray that I am able to have the same positive impact on our son’s life that he has had on the lives of the children at his ranch.

Lord lead and guide us on your path. Amen.

2 comments:

Katie said...

He sounds like a wonderful man. The book sounds great, too, I'll have to see if my local library has it.

Jennifer F. said...

Wow, that book looks great.