Monday, September 8, 2008

Chatting with Our Lady

I searched high and low trying to get my son into a Catholic school. I traveled an hour away to visit Spiritus Sanctus and a half hour to visit the only parish school in our county. The options were drive 160 miles a day to one and 100 per day to the other. It just wasn’t going to work no matter how I sliced it. I decided to send him to the Protestant school in town.

As I was strolling through the halls of the Protestant school to enroll him I was telling Our Lady how sorry I was that she isn’t venerated here and that the Saints are ignored and that the richness and beauty of the faith isn’t taught and for the first time in my life she spoke back to me!!

Whoa.

“They love my son here, and you can teach him to love me.”

OK.

So we are working on developing a distinctly Marian focus in our family. One of the ways is St. Louis de Montfort’s 33 day total consecration to Our Lady, offered free by the Friends of Our Lady Apostolate.

We are also TIVOing Truth in the Heart on EWTN and watching Steve Ray’s Footprints of God series to supplement our nightly reading of My First Catholic Bible a really nice overview of the bible edited down to child size portions.

So we are pilgrims in a foreign land so to speak, but it’s a land we’re familiar with. After all he goes to “chapel” each week in the auditorium of the evangelical church we attended so it’s not as if we don’t know what we’re getting into. Still, I’m counting heavily on Our Lady’s guidance to teach our son to love her as she has instructed.

Oh Mary, Conceived Without Sin, Pray for Us Who Have Recourse to Thee.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Wow, how wonderful! It sounds like you're definitely on the right track.

Abigail said...

I love this post! You will be in our prayers! You know, the amazing thing is that maybe your son can be the evangelizing one at his school. My best friend in 4th grade was from a big Irish Catholic family. She taught me, her happily Protestant friend, about the "communion of saints" and invited me to his little sister's first communion. I think about her mom almost every day. I never except to have a life that mirrored, Mrs. O'Connor.

LauraAnne said...

I found you on Conversion Diary - and your intro in her "introduce yourself" post. It was this snippet: "Adoption hasn't panned out and the whole works was a bit painful so I transitioned to a blog about conversion and living the Catholic life as a woman who’s not been blessed with children. Kind of a different take from most Catholic women who blog about family life." that got me clicking over here, since I appear to be infertile as well.

With regards to this post, isn't it such a shock when Mary or Jesus talks back? So often it is the small voice, the hard to hear one that can be painfully easy to ignore. When it is an almost audible voice... it really lets you know that they really are with us at all times.

I'm going to bookmark you and come back to check in with you again after Lent. Have a blessed Lent and a Happy Easter!