Thursday, September 4, 2008

Is It A Big Adjustment?

It’s the single most frequently asked question about our adoption experience.

It’s understandable. Hubby and I were childless for almost eighteen years so yes it’s an adjustment, but one of the biggest surprises has been how normal it feels. It almost feels like the first eighteen years were off kilter and now the ship has been righted.

I can recall daydreaming about what this situation or that would be like if we had children. Like getting up and out the door for school, or getting meals ready for a child or whatever, and the answer is it’s eerily natural. It’s shockingly normal to watch Hubby and our son play ball in the evening, or to run errands with a child in tow, or to adjust the menu with a nine year olds palate in mind.

The truth is I love it. I’m happy to adjust my day to accommodate his needs, especially his emotional needs, because no one else on this planet has been appointed by God with the responsibility of mothering this child.

I’ve always felt being a wife was my most important roll in life and being a mom feels like a really natural extension of that responsibility. Now I occasionally daydream about how large family life would operate. I doubt we will have a large family, but then again I had doubts we would have children at all so you never know.

Thank you Lord for the blessing of our son. Help us to raise him to know, love and serve you in this life and I pray that you will bring him home to rejoice with you in Heaven.

5 comments:

Jennifer F. said...

I'm so glad for this update -- I was just thinking about you guys this morning and wondering how you're doing. I'm not surprised to hear that the adjustment has gone smoothly.

Thanks for sharing!

Katie said...

I'm so glad it's going so well for you all!

Anne Marie said...

Thanks ya'll. The home front has been awesomely smooth both in our immediate family and in our extended family of Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents and cousins.

Outside the family not so much.

Everything from clients from hell to regulatory hassles, to long time valued co-workers (three different ones at differnt times on two different coasts!) marching into Hubby’s office and screaming obscenities at the top of their lungs at him. Outside the family has been wave after wave of chaos, but that’s another blog post altogether.

Mrs C said...

As a future-adoptive-mom going through the process, I was very happy to read this post and even happier to have found your blog!!

Anne Marie said...

Thanks for stopping by Mrs. C! May God richly bless your family with children.