Wednesday, September 17, 2008

It Is Well With My Soul

Jesus Calms the Storm

Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Lord, save us! We're going to drown!"

He replied, "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?" Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.

OK Lord, I’m ready for the completely calm!!!

My life, the life of my little family has been surrounded by complete chaos for months. It’s calm inside our little boat, but we’ve had wave after wave of chaos particularly in our business which is our sole livelihood. Every time a new wave of insanity hits I think of the disciples. Jesus was with them snoozing in the back, so I simply imagine him with us snoozing. If he’s at rest I suppose I should rest as well, but man it’s hard to relax when the attacks come from all sides.
.
Even my poor horse is under attack, the animal has an obstruction in his airway and is on the verge of suffocation. It comes from all angles, from trusted employees melting down (three of them), to another having a mid life crisis and disappearing, to clients from hell, to OSHA hassles.
On Monday when the latest drama unfolded all I could think of this time was the lyrics to the song, “It Is Well With My Soul”…

“When sorrows like sea billows roll, thou has taught me to say it is well with my soul”.

And so it is, this world is passing and eternity looms on the ship's horizon, but it can be hard to keep that focus when the day in day out drama of life demands our attention. God always gives me guidance is short staccato bursts. Last week as I prayed for guidance in front of the tabernacle he tells me.

“I’m doing something new with the company.”

I see that Lord, and we’ve consecrated it to you, just keep reminding me that you are at the helm and not I, and I’ll keep singing “It is well with my soul”.

When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider: God has made the one as well as the other. Therefore, a man cannot discover anything about his future. Ecclesiastes

No comments: