Sunday, November 9, 2008

It’s a Jungle Out There

The closer I draw to God the more I withdraw from the world. Not the day in day out world of my little fam and our business, but the world at large. I quit reading the paper, or news sites, I don’t watch the news on TV, and we watch VERY, VERY little TV of any kind. I found that the less I consumed of the culture at large the happier I am. Then came the presidential campaign and ….. GRUMPY ME.

It started slowly several weeks ago, a peekie pooh at Foxnews.com & CNN.com, a glance at the headlines, from time to time, a debate or two on the tube, just to see how the campaigns were playing. Soon I was checking in on the news sites ten times a day. I skipped the infomercial, my mind was made up early on, like from day one.

I noticed a curious thing as I began to take in more of the culture of the day. I got crankier and more cynical with each article read. I began to really look forward to the election being over and I’m glad that it is. Elizabeth Esther's blog hits the spot. The election is over, life goes on, and the holder of office of the President of the United States of America deserves our respect no matter which way we cast our ballot.

I awoke on election day in that groggy not quite awake state with a comfort from the Lord as clear as a bell, "Be Still and Know that I am God". Something we may need to remind ourselves of in the years ahead as we fight the good fight of faith.

Lord teach us to pray for you tell us that the prayers of a righteous man avail much. Amen

2 comments:

Katie said...

I'm glad it's over, too. Of course I wish McCain would have won, but he didn't. That's how democracy works! Obama will be our next president and I accept that and I'll be praying for him and putting my trust in God, the only true leader we have.

Katie said...

I have something for you at my blog!