Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Honest Scrap Award




I received an Honest Scrap award from Katie at Just Another Catholic Mom

Here’s the poop:

There are 4 steps that need to be taken in order to fully accept this award.

1 Say thanks to the presenter and give a link back to their site.
2 Share "TEN HONEST THINGS" about yourself.
3 Pass this award on to 7 people whose blogs you find brilliant in blog design and/or content. Or pass it on to someone that you find inspirational.
4 Let your chosen award winners know that they have been awarded with THE HONEST SCRAP AWARD.


10 Honest Things About Me

I have a history of fairly serious depression. Since my conversion I don’t get depressed but lately I’ve been very sorrowful over the disintegration of our country, culture, morality, families, government etc. I feel a few posts coming on about this topic.

I cooked my first homegrown chicken dinner recently. It was a bit disappointing. Kind of dry and tough. We got 6 meat birds this year and 4 egg layers. I hope the egg layers are a better bet. I’m going for the crock-pot for the other meat birds and hoping for the best.



I’m left handed, so is my dad, niece and son.

We are trying our hand at raising steer this year. Hubby is really into it and is planning for a heard of 40 or so including possibly heifers for breeding. Rarely do we do anything small scale in this family, suddenly the couple of steer we got to help graze down the horses turn out field has become an endeavor to help support our household.


Hubby and I have been married 19 years in December, and he’s not yet 40. They said it would never last, silly parents, siblings, aunts, uncles etc.

I’ve lived in a Detroit suburb, the city of Los Angeles, and rural Michigan. I like rural living best, followed by urban living. The suburbs don’t really work for me, to plastic and stiflingly cloned.

I’m an introvert. I find it more relaxing to read a book than hang out with a group.

I graduated high school with a 1.8 GPA, and it took me 4 ½ years. Not what you would call stellar.

I have a BA in History and English from the University of Michigan and a Masters in Public Administration from the University of Southern California. I’ve come to believe that skipping high school didn’t hurt me none.

Hubby and I have been entrepreneurs for 17 of the 19 years we’ve been married. In that time we have had a paralegal service specializing in evictions, we’ve had a debt collection agency at one time specializing in phone sex debt, we’ve rehabbed distressed property to flip or rent, and we’ve designed, manufactured and installed timber frames, and apparently we are now going into raising beef. I’ve been everywhere man, been from here to there man.


I’m going to forward the award on to anyone who wants to participate!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Ahh, I'm so jealous of your chickens and soon to be steer! I'm trying to figure out how to build a coop so I can have some chickens of my own, no room for steer, though (I only have 1/2 acre!)

Anne Marie said...

I've uploaded photos of the coop and the steers we have so far. Hubby made the coop with chicken wire and scrap wood. He says that the egg layers will need nesting boxes which we don't have yet, not sure when they start laying but we get eggs from a neighbor in the mean while. And I'm not sure what to do with the chickens in the winter, I guess I will have to ask the neighbor.