Friday, October 2, 2009

7 Quick Takes



Jen@Conversion Diary is hosting 7 Quick Takes. Thanks Jen.

1

Football

My son is not a football player, and apparently neither is any of the kids on his team. They have amassed a total of 5 first downs in the three games they have played, and have been mercyed by half time in every game. Saturdays have been painful.


He sure looks cute in the uniform though!! And he cut quite a striking figure all geared up pads, helmet and all mowing the lawn, caring for the animals, etc. etc. I think he would have slept in that uniform if he could have.

2

Football Mom

I am in possession of a football sticker on my back window, and I’ve got to say it’s affected my driving. I now find it necessary to take evasive maneuvers when confronted with those traveling the roads with a bit less urgency than that of the ubiquitous soccer mom.

For example I now make a right and then make a Uie when running tight for school rather than wait patiently in a turning lane while granny allows all traffic to clear before pulling out. Today I even passed two cars on surface streets in the rain to make it to Mass on time after dropping the boy at school.

Yes, it’s all true what they say about soccer (football) moms and their driving. I’m living proof.

3

Keepin the Winter Blues Away

The days are getting shorter and colder here in the Midwest, and I can feel myself going into hibernation mode. For me that means flirting with the winter blues, but I’ve found something that really works well to help keep my mood even keel.

Omega – 3. Specifically from wild caught salmon. They eat a lot of salmon in Alaska, and I noticed a few years ago when visiting that eating all that salmon really put me in a good mood, even with the dark cold days in Juneau.

Fresh salmon is difficult to come by in the Midwest, and expensive, but I get the same great results from the wild caught salmon in a pouch. I make dips and put it into recipes even into soup.

Excellent protein and a super mood booster can’t beat that.

4

Daily Mass

School’s in session and getting to daily Mass is so much simpler. What a blessing to receive our Lord daily.

Also and excellent mood booster.

5

ThankACapitalist.com

I want to develop a web site profiling everyday entrepreneurs from every day communities. Some large businesses, some small businesses but all men and women working to make a living, providing products and services and jobs to their communities and living the American dream and having a positive impact on those around them.

I am sick to death of seeing our way of life undermined and criticized in the public arena.

I’m trying to learn Dreamweaver to bring this idea to fruition. Any suggestions for a crash course would be appreciated. There isn’t a class locally for a while and I’ve got a lot to learn.


6

Livestrong.com

What a cool site!! I’ve wanted to get a grip on my eating habits for a very long time. Livestrong.com is super simple and makes tracking daily calories, carbs, protein etc so easy.

If you are interested in finding a site to help motivate and track food and fitness this is the place.


7

Prayer Request

Please pray for all children in foster care seeking adoptive families.

Hubby and I are in the discernment process on a second adoption. The boy is 9 years old and a grade behind our son. He has been moved three times since he came into care in May 2008 and is currently being moved because of an adoption falling out.

We are going very slowly, neither of us is convinced this is our child, but we want to leave the door open to whatever God has in store for him and our family.

St. Thomas More, Pray for Us.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Prayers!

I love the website idea, fantastic!

I hope your son is having fun playing football, even if his team isn't winning :)

And Omega3 is amazing!!!

Rae said...

I just said a prayer for your adoption discernment. My heart breaks for the children in foster homes and I look forward to the day when my husband and I will have a living situation stable enough to adopt.

I've been working on flax for omega-3 but your post re-inspired me to cook more salmon for my husband. Good stuff!

Anne Marie said...

Hi Katie & Rae:

Thanks for visiting and for prayers for discerment with regards to adoption of Matthew.

We will all meet this Sunday, although the boys still won't know it's a pre-adoptive visit.

We are working to keep that on the down low in case something goes sour.