Monday, December 28, 2009

I’m On A Big Ol’ Latin Kick

Latin? OK........

Well it is the language of the Church, but still. I’ve been to one Latin Mass, and it was OK, but I’m not in a big hurry to go again, so I can’t really splain the Latin kick, but learning the prayers of the rosary in Latin has come to consume my every available moment of free time.

I’ve got the Ave Maria down, but it took me a while.

So now I can pray with any other Catholic in the world who knows The Angelic Salutation in Latin.

Cool, but I’m still a bit baffled by the urgency I’m feeling to learn the basic Catholic prayers in Latin. I mean it’s not like we have to celebrate the Mass in secret, in our basements, under cover, or need to pray secretly with others who may not speak English. Yet.

So I found this really cool site with Pope JP II praying the rosary in Latin. For your consideration should anyone also become seized with the overwhelming urge to learn the rosary in Latin.

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus, nunc, et in hora mortis nostrae. Amen.

3 comments:

Katie said...

I love Latin! I'm teaching my 8 year old Latin as part of her schooling :) My hope is that by middle school she'll be able to read encyclicals with moderate proficiency.

There's a lot lost to translation. I really think there's a simple beauty to Latin. Plus, it's a very logical language and the inflection makes it easier to explain and introduce English grammar :D

The Old Geezer said...

you have a nice blog
God bless you

wsxwhx656 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.