Tuesday, July 20, 2010

I Am the Light of the World

Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life. John 8:12

Our Pastor is back in town after ditching us, er, I mean, taking a well-deserved two-week break and that means Adoration is back on the schedule. I was so excited I could hardly wait. As is the kid’s custom he served Mass and after changing out of his Alb joined me in the pew whereupon he hits me with this.

“The Host was glowing. After the Lamb of God as I was turning around I looked up and I could see the Host glowing so I blessed myself real quick.”

“Were all the Hosts glowing?”

“No, just the big one that Fr. Dave holds up. I saw the glory of God.”

“Cool.”

I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your old men will dream dreams, your young men will see visions. Joel 20:28

Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of thy faithful and enkindle in us the fire of your love. Amen.

3 comments:

Abigail said...

What a cool son you have! I'm keeping an eye on his future!

Abigail said...

You know, what if your son does have a vocation to the priesthood, or a vocation to become an extra holy married man? Then that awful abuse in his past might make more sense on a spiritual level. What if the Devil was trying to wound your son's spirit before he got a chance to form a close relationship with his true Father in heaven or join the protective shelter of the Roman Catholic Church?

Anne Marie said...

Satan is most definitely on the attack in the lives of all children and kids in abusive and neglectful situations are tremendously vulnerable. The wounds they sustain particularly emotional and spiritual often remain open portals into which Satan pours the salt of his venom for the rest of their lives. Not a coincidence I’m sure, but every single kid I know, or know of, in foster care has been exposed to the most extreme horror films from the time they were toddlers. Talk about Satan at work planting seeds into children’s spirit. Yuck.

In the case of our boy we have documentation that he was under physical attack even while in utero so the violence he has been exposed to has been extreme and life long. I’ve asked Our Blessed Mother to intercede for him from day one, often simply holding him and praying the Hail Mary silently trusting in her intercession for us as we walk together into our new lives as mother and son, and I’m confident that her powerful intercession is at work in our lives. Oh how he loves Our Lady, and the Mass, and the Eucharist. Of course we teach him the faith, we are practicing Catholics after all, but his love for, and understanding of the things of God and Holy Mother Church are a gift the Lord has given him, perhaps a little double for his trouble similar to the way God blessed Job.

A lot of folks wonder if he may have a vocation to the priesthood. Truly his reverence is that obvious. If God calls him to the priesthood, or to the vocation of marriage, I pray daily that he will grow to be a man after God’s own heart and that he walk in the way of the Lord all the days of his life.